Colonial New England became a maritime power primarily by dominating the American slave trade and employing thousands of enslaved laborers, but by 1860 this experience had been virtually erased from historical memory. Dr. Joanne Pope Melish will explain the facts of this history, how and why a different, triumphal story took its place, and how erasing the past has clouded our understanding of the present.
We will be using the Zoom platform for this presentation. Please email us at email@example.com for registration and to receive a link to the meeting.
Dear Cross' Mills Library Community,
With first phase of Reopening RI: Charting the Course going into effect, we are pleased to be able to offer curbside pickup of library materials. Guidelines for this service are provided below. We're excited for the opportunity to get library materials out to our community, but must also consider how to do so while still encouraging social distancing.
- Curbside pickup will be offered Monday to Friday from 10am-2pm.
- Borrowers must have a library card. Online applications can be found here
- Borrowers must call or email the library to request items so that items can be checked out, bagged, and labeled for pickup. Participants will receive a 15-minute window pickup time. Bagged items will be clearly labeled with borrowers’ names and placed on a table in the library foyer inside the first set of doors (or outside, weather permitting). Participants should wear masks and engage in social distancing while picking up materials.
- Requests will not be taken in person. We cannot permit patrons into the library at this time.
- Checked out library materials (books, DVDs, CDs) may be returned in one of our outdoor book drops.
- Cross Mills Public Library will only be able to provide materials in our collection. We will not be able to place holds on items that are not currently available in our collection. To search our collection visit: https://catalog.oslri.net/ and under "View Entire Collection" select the drop down menu and scroll down to Cross Mills. Borrowers may request specific items or they may ask for items on a certain topic or by a certain author – or they may ask for library staff suggestions!
We are limiting requests to 5 items per borrower per pickup.
Thank you for your understanding as we navigate the course to reopening over the next few weeks. Stay well!
Cross' Mills Library Staff